Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My cheap vest tutorial.

• 12 Replies

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
My cheap vest tutorial.
« on: Sep 18, 2014, 06:19 AM »
Hey, vode!

I hear a lot of my Mandalorian brothers and sisters asking about how to make a vest.  There are lots of ways to tackle a vest.  There are the suppliers in the Mandalorian Supply Depot that make great looking vests.  There are also ways to make them yourself if you are so inclined or if you can't/don't want to spend the money on a pre-made vest.

I will be covering a method that I used for my vest that I haven't seen covered here on the forum before.  I'm calling this a tutorial instead of a W.I.P. because this is the method I used and not an actual record of my progress.  I will be using generic pictures to illustrate my steps. 

My vest cost a total of $30!

Here we go!  And please forgive my poor excuse for cropping skills.

I picked up 2 leather motorcycle vest for $10 each at a local thrift shop.  (The ones in the pics are generic pictures of vests.  I used two different materials in order to make it easier to see the difference in the components.  Yours will be all the same.)

Next I cut the complete back panel off of one of the vests.  The red lines mark where I cut.  Try to keep the shoulder seams neat as they will still be seen later.  This will leave you with an entire back panel.

Now lay out your armor with the proper spacing (Do NOT attach it.  Just lay it on.)

Now mark around the armor on the vest.  Give it about an extra 1/2 inch on both sides for seam clearance.  The red lines mark where I cut.  Make sure to mark a neck line or you're going to choke.

Now cut! 

This leaves a simple flap just larger than your armor.

Now lay the flap over the front of your other vest and center it.  The green lines mark where I sewed the flap down permanently.  The yellow lines mark where I sewed in Velcro.  The red line is not sewed down.  This comes in handy later, trust me.

Now you can attach your armor using any method you feel comfortable with.  I used Velcro so I can still have it dry cleaned.

Here is my vest before attaching my armor.  Oh, you can get some spare material from the scrap vest to make shoulder bells!  Since my vests were originally black leather I used a can of NuLife Leather Spray Paint ($7 on Amazon) to color the vest.  If you use any other material, like denim, you should be able to dye it to whatever color you want.

Now you're ready to troop.  The groovy thing about this is that it still opens from the front using the original (under vest) closures (snaps, buttons, etc.).  Simply button it up and close the Velcroed flap.  No wrangler needed!  All for less than $30!

Feel free to ask any questions and I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2014, 04:51 AM by Erio J'uni » Logged

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59
Re: My cheap vest tutorial.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2014, 05:41 AM »
That is some quality photoshopping there, Erio.  :P

Great tutorial!

Erio J'uni

• Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2014, 05:47 AM »
It's amazing what you can do in between calls at work!  I didn't take any pics of my own while I was making it so this is what I could throw together and still get the point across.  It's just another method and I hope it helps.   ;)

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Erio J'uni

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:49 AM »
Here is one I did for a friend at our last armor party.  We need to trim up the neck and adjust the shoulders but you get the idea.

Darasuum_Tracinya

• I am Darasuum Tracinya, The Eternal Flame
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I may indeed be trying out this method

OM #1842 | Naast Clan #1842 | Cabur Akaata #115 | MBHT-NA  OM #015
Main WIP   Burning Bright So That They May See

Erio J'uni

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I've been making a lot of them lately.  They're getting easier and better every time.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:39 PM »
This goes in my bookmarks, yup. Great method & writeup!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Erio J'uni

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Just trying to help.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Very excited to find this, I am planning on starting my vest this upcoming weekend. I was planning on using duck cloth and making one from scratch, but I think due to my lack of sewing experience, this is an awesome alternative. I will be looking into buying some vests this weekend. Vor entye vod! Oya!!!

Keeping the settlements free of beasties, one nexu at a time.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:44 PM »
I hope it turns out great.  And I'd love to see any if the finished products or innovations anyone comes up with.

Mandobhooah

• I'll try my best
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Definitely a bookmark

Ronan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:08 PM »
As a big guy myself, you just solved a problem I had with my next kit.  Going to do a double layer like you did.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Hope it helps.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!